The Belleville Public Library and Information Center recognizes that the cooperative sharing of resources enables libraries to better serve the informational needs of local users.
Therefore, the Library requests materials from, and supplies materials to, other libraries according to lending principles and procedures.
Items that are not owned by, and cannot be acquired for the Belleville Public Library’s resource collections may be requested through ILL service. Most libraries, including BPLIC, will not lend books published within the past twelve months, computer software, audio/video formats, reference volumes, materials housed in special collections (i.e. rare, archival, local history, genealogy), and fragile or bulky items.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service is available for general, individual use. ILL cannot be used to support the instructional and academic programs of local schools, colleges, or other educational programs. Service requests are accepted in-library, by phone, e-mail or through the library’s website. An individual must be a current, registered adult borrower in good standing in order to receive ILL service through The Belleville Public Library and Information Center. ILL requests will not be processed for cardholders whose loan privileges are suspended due to expired registration, overdue library materials, or the accrual of unpaid fines and fees. The Library reserves the right to limit or deny ILL service when circumstances regarding user status warrant such restrictions.
Interlibrary Loan service users must readily adhere to and fully comply with all conditions and terms of agreement including, but not limited to, the following:
- A maximum of four (4) items may be requested and/or borrowed at any given time;
- Only one copy of a specific title may be requested and/or borrowed at any given time;
- Photocopy service is limited to no more than five (5) articles from the last five years of the same journal;
- U. S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code) and accompanying guidelines apply to all photocopies transacted via ILL service;
- ILL material(s) will be returned to the lending library if not checked out within seven (7) days of notification;
- ILL item identification labels should NOT be removed by the borrower;
- Circulation restrictions imposed by the lending library apply to ILL materials;
- The ILL loan period begins on the date the item is received by the borrowing library;
- Renewal must be requested by the borrower at least three (3) business days prior to the due date to provide the lending library sufficient time to either approve or deny;
- Borrowed material is subject to recall by the lending library and immediate return is expected;
- The borrower must pay any and all service charges assessed by the lending library, i.e. copy, FAX, or postage fees, overdue fines, replacement costs for lost or damaged items, etc.
An Interlibrary Loan transaction signifies borrower agreement to abide by the established rules and regulations that govern Interlibrary Loan service. Disregard for these provisions could result in suspension of service from supplying libraries. The Belleville Public Library and Information Center reserves the right to revise this Interlibrary Loan Policy as needed to maintain services.
Responsibility for actual enforcement of this Interlibrary Loan Policy rests with Library personnel who shall discharge this obligation consistent with policies, procedures, and guidelines established by The Belleville Public Library and Information Center and the Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States. Ultimate responsibility for enforcement rests with the Library Director as assigned by The Belleville Public Library and Information Center Board of Trustees.
- Interlibrary Loan Policy (pdf)